Company: Catholic Charities Diocese
Location: El Centro
Posted on: November 22, 2022
*POSITION TITLE: * Lead Cook - El Centro Day Center
*DEPARTMENT: * Homeless Services
*REPORTS TO: * Program Manager, Imperial Valley
*FLSA STATUS: * Non-Exempt
*SALARY: * $18-20 per hour DOE
*TIME COMMITMENT*: Full-time (40+ hours/ week)
*BENEFITS*: Catholic Charities offers a full line of benefits to
select from medical, dental, and vision. Prescription drugs, life
insurance, case-balance pension plan, 403(b), vacation, 15
holidays, and sick leave.
ORGANIZATION PROFILE: * Catholic Charities Diocese of San Diego was
founded in 1919 to provide service to those in need, to be a
witness to the scriptural values of mercy, to advocate for justice,
and to call all people of goodwill to join in these efforts. The
agency responds to the needs of the poor in two counties of the
Roman Catholic Diocese San Diego and Imperial.
POSITION DESCRIPTION*: Responsible for planning, preparing,
cooking, and serving nutritious, appetizing, quality meals for
people experiencing homelessness.
*JOB RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE: *
* Plans weekly menus to provide nutritious, well-balanced meals.
Coordinates menu planning with Program Manager through weekly
meetings. Accommodates special dietary needs
* Develops and maintains recipes and production sheets for daily
and weekly production. Checks production sheet against inventory to
assure necessary items are on hand, plans for backup items as
* Orders, receives, stores, and monitors raw food, supplies, and
equipment, keeping records as required. Controls food cost and
usage by following proper requisition of products from storage area
and overseeing waste and control procedures.
* Acts as a working supervisor for food production. May provide
food preparation training for other staff members.
* Prepares meals or provides direction and ingredients for the
staff to use on the weekend to feed Day Center participants and
residents staying at Catholic Charities shelters in Imperial
* Maintains consistent high-quality standards; quality-tests
finished items for taste, texture, appearance, and temperature.
Ensures that food is served in a professional and pleasant manner.
Cook meals as planned in the menus and quantity to be served.
Serves food in a professional and pleasant manner. Keeps management
abreast of any complaints or issues voiced by the residents.
* Familiar with and able to properly operate all kitchen equipment
and able instruct co-workers as necessary. Trains teammates on the
safe use of all equipment.
* Maintains and cleans kitchen, pantry and dining area ensuring
areas meet sanitation standards.
* Ensures full compliance with all required and recommended health,
safety and sanitation codes and practices. Ensures proper food
holding temperatures and refrigeration and ware washing control
points; documents work performed as necessary.
* Maintains maintenance and warranty records for all kitchen
* Fosters a trauma-informed, safety-focused culture within CC
* Works collaboratively with coworkers within Catholic Charities
and local service providers
* Completes and submits all required monthly reports and assigned
paperwork as needed in a timely and accurate manner. This includes
completing time tracker daily and ensuring it is ready to submit on
the last day worked in the pay period
* Promote excellence in customer service for potential participants
through the application of knowledge obtained from staff
* Responsible for invoices, receipts, and certificates.
* Supervises all activities related to the kitchen and meal
*QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED: *
* Two-year certificate from college or technical school, and at
least two-year' experience in restaurant and/or hotel food service
or equivalent training or a combination of education and
* Knowledge of nutrition and food handling procedures is required.
Culinary School Degree preferred
* Current First Aid, CPR
* Food handler's certifications/cards (Required)
* A positive, can-do attitude and willingness to learn and grow
* Well-developed listening skills
* Bilingual Spanish speaking preferred but not required, must be
able to read, write and speak English
* Successful completion of live scan background check
* Strong computer skills and ability to become proficient with
* Valid Driver's License and a clean driving record
* Tuberculin skin test. (Required)
* Ability to multi-task, organize, and prioritize
* Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short
correspondence, and memos.
* Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide
* Ability to follow established policies, procedures and licensing
* Ability to work effectively as a team member and
* Candidates with lived experience are encouraged to apply
*PHYSICAL DEMANDS*: The employee must frequently lift and/or move
up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
*WORK ENVIRONMENT: * The noise level in the work environment is
_Catholic Charities is a non-profit, non-discriminatory service
organization and employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, sexual
orientation or disability._
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $18.00 - $20.00 per hour%58047475%
Keywords: Catholic Charities Diocese, El Centro , Lead Cook, Hospitality & Tourism , El Centro, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!